To Whom It May Concern,
Yesterday I announced on my twitter feed that I will be having some big news to share today. So, the day has come and I am here to announce that I will be on the job hunt again. As most of my readers and twitter followers would already know, last year I tweeted that I needed a job quick and amazingly within a few weeks, I was attending job interviews for jobs I never even applied for. The response was beyond anything I could ever imagine or wished for. I often tell people, I’m the living proof that social media works in the most awkward positions and unwelcomed challenges. It has led to me a job that I love at Camden Council, that has nurtured my skills and knowledge in local government engagement online even further.
Now the time has come. It is time for me to move on.
As some of you might know, my position at Camden Council was on loan and was never a permanent one. Eventhough I had received many offers, I wanted to experience working and observing the culture and business processes from inside local government. I wanted to understand how decisions were made, how ideas were born and how services were ‘actually’ delivered. I did this because I wanted to be able to say “I understand local government problems in engaging with citizens online” and really mean it!
I always knew deep down that in order for me to really understand the nature of my PhD research, was to fully immerse myself in its environment. And now, after 9 months working side by side with civil servants within the government mechanics, I can honestly say, I have walked a mile in your shoes and I do honestly understand not only your problems and frustrations but also your customers/citizens.
Therefore, even though I would love to stay at Camden and continue working on exciting projects and with colleagues that I absolutely adore, it is time for me to move on. It is time to put all these useful skills and knowledge to proper use!
But this time, what I’m looking for is not a job. But a career.
What type of career?
I understand that the job market is going through some harsh times but I also understand that I have invaluable knowledge and skills to help any business or organizations reach its full potential. I know the public sector (especially local government) very well. I often advise businesses and organizations who come to me for advise (officially and unofficially) on what direction to take and tell them exactly what they need to do or what they currently aren’t doing right.
I have never advertised that this was something I knew but after some time, I think I began to realize my own self-worth, depth of knowledge and experience within the public sector and social media. I believe I have the unique qualities and combination of skills, intelligence and intuition to offer this sector for a organization who wants to give me that challenge and opportunity to make a difference.
What I’m looking for?
- I’m looking for the opportunity to be a leader that can drive meaningful and life changing citizen focused projects.
- A place where I’ll be able to continue to learn; ask a lot of questions and find insightful answers.
- A place where I can also teach and share any knowledge I have to those who want to learn and better understand their customers and industry.
- Be able to access customers on a regular basis and be able to put forth their needs and their views first to create a harmonious business environment.
- I want to also brush up on my technical skills and be more involved on that side of a project.
- Be able to create or maintain meaningful relationships with your customers.
- Being able to access new social technologies and innovations that can inspire and inform better strategies and product development.
- I want to be in a place that continues to challenge me and gives me the opportunities to see my ideas through.
- Last but not least, I want a career that continues to be able to have a conversation with ‘YOU’ – my readers. Because without YOU, I’d be lost and be without the fire my belly.
Is this too much to ask?
I don’t think so. Because I’m not looking for a job. I’m looking for a CAREER and the OPPORTUNITY to make a difference. I’m looking for the opportunity to finally take the lead instead of standing behind the curtains. I’m looking for that challenge that will unlock all this energy and knowledge I’ve got pent-up inside. I’m a 31 year old woman with ambition and a heart that wants to give and give.
Its different, its better
So this time around, my job hunt is not quite like before.. to say the least. But as a great believer in social media, I’m hoping it will help me find the career of my dreams, or at least the starting point to it. The last time I did this I managed to get the job of my dreams, hopefully this time, I will get the career of my dreams. 🙂
My specific requirements and info
- Job offer must be a permanent position
- Preferably in London but willing to relocate for the right job. Also willing to consider offers from other countries with the possibility to work remotely.
- Job offer must be made by early October (verbally at least)
- Available to start in November or late October.
How to get in touch?
Email me at email@example.com or if you follow me on Twitter, kindly DM me please.
I would also like to express my greatest gratitude to my current employer and colleagues at Camden Council for giving me the opportunity to learn and grow with them for the past 9 months. Especially Alasdair Mangham, Martin Black, Katherine Kniep, Michael Fredman, John Weller, Charlotte Beckett and the rest of the Camden family.